The most important
- Wine glasses are the key tool to appreciate and taste the detailed characteristics of the liquor. It allows the release of aromas, appreciation of cleanliness, direction of flavors to the tongue and even preservation of temperature and foam.
- Manufacturers use two major materials, glass and crystal, to make wine glasses. Depending on the way you plan to use the cups, one or the other may suit you. For example, glass goblets are easy to wash and more resistant, allowing for daily use, while crystal goblets are perfect for wine tasting.
- The various parts of the glass influence the tasting of the wine, so you must know how to choose exactly the design you require according to the wine you consume. The shape of the stem influences the temperature. The mouth influences the appreciation of aromas and the capacity determines the liquor and the correct amount to serve.
What types of wine glasses are there?Wine glasses are special containers to pour said drink, their design is special for each type of wine. They allow the regulation of the temperature and the correct appreciation of the liquor, which makes them an essential instrument for tasters. Surely you want to know if there are differences or all the cups are the same, right? We classify the results in the table below. They made this from three types of wine. Keep in mind that people also use white wine glasses for rose.
|Glasses for red wine||White wine glasses||Sparkling wine glasses|
|Large, round and wide cups stems||Smaller size and long stem||Elongated, slender cups with fine|
|Burgundy type, burgundy||Tulip type and chardonnay||Prestige cuvee type|
How to serve a glass of wine?If you have wondered what is the correct way to serve a glass of wine, here, we will give you the answer. When serving, you must place the glass on the table Next, you need to pour the wine, holding the bottle with your two hands. We advise you to turn it gently, when you are finishing serving. Thus, you will prevent drops of this drink from falling on the tablecloth. Above all, there must be a distance between the neck of the bottle and the glass. In this way, you let the wine aerate, improving its flavor. Also, you should not fill the glass to the top. Always consider filling it ⅓ full. Lastly, clean the neck of the bottle once you are done.
How to wash wine glasses?We know that glass and crystal are delicate materials. Although some people choose to put them in the dishwasher, there is always the concern that they could break and nobody wants that to happen. For that reason, here, we leave you some tips to wash them by hand.
- Hold your cup by the bottom of the chalice.
- Use warm water so as not to expose the material.
- Wash your glasses with water and a sponge. You can use soap if you want to.
- Wash your glasses right after using them. Thus, it will be easier and faster to clean them.
- Let them dry upside down on a cloth tray.
How to hold the wine glass?We can say that holding a glass of wine is an art. Although you may think that it is a simple task, it is more complex than it seems. If you hold it improperly, you run the risk of altering the temperature of the wine. The key is to take the cup by the stem. We also do not recommend holding it by the top, since you could dirty the glass. Remember that holding the glass correctly goes beyond formality or etiquette protocols at important events. If you do it incorrectly you can affect the tasting of the wine and we don’t want that to happen.
How many glasses of wine does a bottle fill?If you are thinking of giving a bottle of wine or you are thinking of taking one to your next family gathering, you have surely wondered how many glasses of wine can come out of a bottle. To explain it, we are going to divide it into two categories: Red wine and white wine: you must start from the rule that you should not serve more than a third of the container. So, considering that you are carrying a 750 ml bottle, you will be able to serve approximately 5 glasses. Sparkling wines: in the case of these wines, it is different. Since the cup fills up a little more. We can say that approximately 6 glasses can come out of a 750 ml bottle of champagne.
Advantage and Disadvantage of wine glasses:Before making a purchase, you should evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of the product.
|They preserve aromas||It’s fragile|
|oxygenates the drink||They are constantly hand washed|
|keep at temperature||They are expensive|
What are the benefits of wine glasses?If what you want is to enjoy good wine options at an optimal level, it is essential that you have adequate glassware for this purpose. The glasses are inseparable allies of quality wines. This is so mainly for four reasons:
- They allow a correct oxygenation of the drink.
- They help hidden aromas to express themselves.
- They maintain a proper temperature.
- They improve the sensation of the liquid on the palate
Purchase criteria of Wine glasses:The shape, capacity or material change the flavor and aromas of this type of drink. When selecting an appropriate glass for wine, one must take into account the relevant criteria and consider the special glass designs for each type of wine. This is crucial in order to purchase the correct glass that meets your needs and use it correctly. Due to the above, we will show you purchase criteria that will help you decide the cup that best suits your needs.
cup materialGlass or crystal? That is the dilemma. Wine glasses come in both materials. Although to inexperienced eyes they may appear similar, the truth is that these materials are very different from each other. Regarding the appreciation and experience of the wines or the utility that you are going to give to the glasses (if you need resistant or elegant glasses, for example) it will be more appropriate to choose one or the other option.
- Glass cups: They are much stronger and lighter than glass cups. They are also quite a bit thicker. They can be a good option if you need to buy a large number of glasses for an event and you don’t want to spend so much. Or if you have to use them in a restaurant and you need more resistant glasses.
- Crystal cups: Actually, they are usually ideal for most cases. Crystal goblets are much brighter than glass goblets and are completely colorless. This allows one to truly appreciate the colors and visual characteristics of the wine. In addition, they are much thinner (which helps to preserve the temperature) and allow a better appreciation of the flavors.
cup capacityMost people express the capacity of glasses in ounces. This brings with it other characteristics that fulfill certain particular functions. Although it may not seem like it, designers do not shape glasses in a certain way simply for elegance, but rather to enhance the flavor and aroma of each type of wine, which is why they create so many different models. By understanding this, one must realize that the measurements of glasses vary depending on the type of wine. This is because the unique flavors and drinking methods of each wine inspire designers to create special glasses for them.
- Red wine: These glasses are 14 ounces, but they only serve 5 ounces. Typically, only a little wine is poured into the glass to stir it and release its aroma.
- White wine: When white wine is served in lower quantities but more frequently than red wine, the glasses are smaller. They come in serving sizes of 5 and 10 ounces. Although people often sip this wine cold, serving only half a glass prevents the beverage from warming up while being consumed.
- Sparkling wine: 5 ounces are served out of the 6 ounces total. In the case of sparkling wines, the space is reduced to allow the conservation of the bubbles, which is your main attraction.
- Sherry: The glass used for this particular wine is smaller than that used for sparkling wine. It has a 4 ounce capacity, and 2 ounces are served from it. To completely perceive the scents in the Jerez wine, space that the sparkling wine does not require is required.
Mouth shapeWide or narrow mouth? Depending on the type of wine in question, it will be more advisable to use wine glasses in one way or another. Hence, we will outline the characteristics of each glass type and their respective purposes.
- Red wine glasses: They are usually wider than tall mouths. When storing red wine for a long period, it is recommended to use wider glasses. Drinks that have a lot of “wood”, that is, a long time spent in barrels, need glasses called “balloons”. This type of glass allows it to oxygenate and release the stored aromas.
- White wine glasses: Unlike reds, white wines are generally young and fresh wines. The type of light aromas they contain (apple, freshly cut grass or pear, among others) rise easily within the glass. Examples of this style of wine glass would be the “Chardonnay” glass, the “tulipa” glass or the “Sauternes” glass.
- Sparkling wine glasses: sparkling wines are known as “sparkling” or “sparkling”, such as “Champagne” or “Prosecco”. For this style of wine, the so-called “flute” glasses are used, thin and elongated. These allow the bubbles to rise and the formation of the crown on the surface.
chalice widthThere is a purpose for the chalice or body of the wine glass, which is why some are very wide and others are narrower. With this variation, you may emphasize the beverage’s good points while maximizing its advantages..
- wide bodies: They make it simple for the liquid within the glass to rotate. The circular motion oxygenates the wine and also releases the wine’s scents inside the chalice. Usually, this shortens it so you may savor it without drinking.
- Thin bodies: Although thinner cups allow for less rotation, they are ideal for sparkling wines like champagne because they allow for higher foam preservation. The bubbles, which are the main draw of this kind of drink, can be preserved thanks to the smaller space.
Of course, this is a personal matter. It will depend on the type of life you have and the number of guests that generally visit your home, among others. Most glasses come in boxes of six. However, there are also some brands that sell boxes of four, three and even two units. A good option for most people is to buy a box of four or six units.
Crystal wine glasses are made from a special type of glass that contains a small amount of lead oxide, which makes the glass more durable, shiny, and able to refract light in a unique way. Glass wine glasses, on the other hand, are made from a mixture of sand, soda ash, and limestone, and do not contain lead.
The long stem on a wine glass serves a practical purpose – it allows you to hold the glass without warming up the wine with your hand. It also makes the glass easier to swirl, which can help release the wine’s aromas and flavors. Additionally, the stem adds an elegant and sophisticated touch to the design of the glass.
It depends on the type of wine glass. Most glass wine glasses can be safely washed in the dishwasher, but crystal wine glasses should be hand-washed to prevent damage. Check the manufacturer’s instructions to be sure.